Monday, December 27, 2010

Fall and Winter

If there's a way to easily update the blog via smart phone (and I'm sure there is!), it's more likely this blog would have been more lively!  It's been a busy fall, and now we are in winter.  


The garden was plenty busy in the fall, and there were harvests.  
Of basil... 
 Our cool and wet summer meant our tomatoes grew, but did not ripen.   Finally, they were all picked in October.
 (yes, it was raining when I picked them!) 
I decided to try my hand at canning for the first time, and made a Green Tomato Chutney
I loved canning!  It was greatly satisfying to not waste fruits of the garden, and to create something so delicious and easy to share.  I'm told it's perfect on a chicken sandwich.  ;)  
(we also had fried green tomatoes, delicious!)  

And now between the rain and cool weather, the winter garden grows.
Peas, parsnips, turnips, spinach, garlic, carrots, and leeks.  
Fava beans.   (and oxalis.  Always oxalis!) 

On clear sunny days, the bees show up. 
And my locavore self, sneering at strawberries in supermarkets, realizes that the strawberries seem to want to be there. 
Happy New Year to you!  May the coming year bring much sweetness and bounty!  

1 comment: